On the 5. September, we launched the Icelandic chapter of the Women in Immersive Technologies network in Europe. Lemke Meijer and Vanessa Julia Carpenter from Gagarin are ambassadors for this network and welcomed over 60 people to the event. This community, WIIT, is a place to connect and meet like-minded women from across Europe and find the resources to learn and grow within Europe’s virtual, augmented, and mixed reality sectors.
At Gagarin and Astrid, we are working in the realm of VR, AR, and XR to create unique experiences, and we can't wait to meet others in Iceland who are working in these fields or are curious about these fields.
We had inspiring talks by:
- Dr Alessia Milo is an architect, researcher, and virtual acoustics specialist at Treble Technologies, an Icelandic company developing next-generation sound simulation and spatial audio technology for digital twins and the virtual world.
- Ásta Olga Mafnúsdóttir is the founder of ASTRID Climate Change Education, a start-up that offers powerful learning tools, including virtual reality and gamified storytelling, to elevate climate literacy.
- Tristan Elizabeth Gribbin is the creator and founder of Flow - Meditation for Modern Life, an immersive technology platform that empowers people to access the profound benefits of breath, movement, letting go, deep calm, focus, and restoration.
- Dr. Vanessa Julia Carpenter is the Chief Innovation Officer at Gagarín. She challenges the status quo and explores how to facilitate personal and interpersonal self-development in our technological futures.
- Lemke Meijer, Interaction and Concept designer at Gagarin, creates tangible, interactive experiences that encourage visitors to explore new perspectives and is a leader within designing for XR experiences.
Afterwards, everyone met someone they had never met before, and we all shared new insights into our field in Iceland. We had a great time, and everyone was eager for the next one, and so are we!
Check the event on Facebook to see how it went!